Nutrition and Dietetics Newsletter Community Dietitians in Action
In commemoration of World Heart Day the Nutrition and Dietetics Department released its quarterly newsletter, Community Dietitians in Action, on September 29, 2017. This issue contains essential information that covers the risk factors that contribute to heart disease, food options to boost heart health and lifestyle habits that can negatively affect the heart. Here are some important tips you can follow to know and love your heart:
Be aware of your risk of heart disease by knowing all your important health numbers
- Blood sugar
- Blood pressure
- Total Cholesterol
- Waist circumference
Avoid these habits that affect heart health
- Not dealing with feeling of hostility, depression.
- Not flossing, there is strong link between gum disease and heart disease.
- Drinking (too much) alcohol or binge-drinking.
- Smoking or living with a smoker.
- Assuming you’re not at risk.
- Being a health procrastinator.
- Stopping or skipping medication especially high blood pressure pills when you think you feel fine.
- Ignoring physical symptoms like sudden chest pain.