The Emergency Department provides ready access to nursing and medical care for trauma, non-trauma, surgical and medical emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including public holidays. The department is equipped to provide emergency medical care inclusive but not limited to: stroke, heart attack and loss of limb. The SWRHA's Emergency Departments also cater to urgent injuries and illnesses, such as sprains/broken bones, high fever, vomiting and diarrhoea in all age groups. You will be taken care of by an expert clinical team, led by specialists in Emergency Medicine and Nursing. To provide the best clinical care as quickly as possible, auxiliary support such as CT scanning, X-ray and laboratory services are available on a 24-hour basis.
Emergency Department - 225 – HEAL (4325) Ext 13550
Customer Service Hotline - 87- SWRHA (877-9742)
Ambulance - GMRTT- 811
Fire Services- 990
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Severe blood loss
- Chest pain
- Suspected broken bones
- Signs of strokes
- Suspected overdose/poisoning
- Gun shot wounds/blunt force trauma
- Accident & falls
- Severe abdominal pain
- Mild to moderate asthma
Please visit the nearest Emergency Department or call 811 to have an emergency vehicle dispatched to you.
For non-emergencies, you can visit your nearest Health Centre.
Step 1 –Pre-Registration
- On arrival, patients and their relatives will be greeted by a Customer Relations Officer, who will then answer your questions and advise you of your next step.
Step 2 - Triage
All patients will be assessed by a Registered Nurse to determine the severity of their illness or injury. The patients are then divided into five categories:
- Level 1- Resuscitation
- Level 2- Emergent
- Level 3- Urgent
- Level 4- Semi-urgent
- Level 5- Non-urgent
This assessment ensures that severely ill patients are seen first. Patients with minor injuries/illnesses will be redirected to the hospital’s general practice clinic or local health centre.
Step 3- Registration
- Each patient should be registered in the hospital’s patient management system. It is important to present a valid form of I.D. to the registration officer. However, if it is not available, ensure that you provide accurate contact information, correct spelling of your name, address and date of birth. Upon completion you will be directed to the waiting or treatment area accordingly.
Step 4- Treatment
- This is where you will be re-assessed, examined and your health concerns will be discussed with you in greater detail. Patients with common injuries or illnesses will be treated in the Treatment Areas. Patients with serious complaints will be taken to the Resuscitation Room. The Medical Officer will discuss your test results, treatment plan and answer questions regarding your health condition and treatment.
- If your medical condition can be treated by the emergency doctors, you will be treated and discharged. In some cases, referrals will be made to your local health centre for continued care. However, if your illness requires specialized care, you will be admitted into the hospital.
Step 5 - Admission to Hospital
- Should you be admitted the hospital for further tests or treatment, you will be assigned to a ward. However, unplanned admission requires a waiting period for a bed to be prepared or for one to become available. Care will continue at the Emergency Department until you are transferred to the admitting unit.
What should you bring with you? You should have the following :-
- Your National Identification Card
- Your Patient Card
- Your prescription and non-prescription medication
- Any other important information/documents about allergies or other medical procedure/conditions
The management team understands the importance of having family and friends around during the treatment process to reduce the stress level of patients. However, for safety and privacy reasons, only one visitor may be allowed in the treatment area at a time. During certain procedures, the emergency staff may ask family or visitors to leave. At all times the privacy of other patients must be respected.
- Code of Behaviour
No acts of violence, swearing or verbal abuse toward staff members or other patients will be allowed. An initial warning will be given but if the behaviour continues, security officers will ask you to leave the department.
- Personal Items
Relatives or friends are asked to safeguard all valuables while the patient is being treated. Only in extenuating circumstances, will hospital staff ensure the patient’s personal items will be secured for a specified time period.
- Service Target
The Emergency Department Team aims to have all patients seen by a healthcare professional within 60 minutes (1hr) of arrival into the facility.
You can access emergency care at any of the following Emergency Departments in the South-West Regional Health Authority:
- San Fernando General Hospital
- Point Fortin Hospital
- Couva District Health Facility
- Princes Town District Health Facility
- Siparia District Health Facility
- Autistic Society T&T - 663-8397
- Childline - 800-4321
- Coalition Against Domestic Violence - 624-0402
- Domestic Violence Hotline - 800-SAVE (7283)
- HEAL Drug Rehab Centre (Couva) - 679-2616
- Breastfeeding Association of T&T - 468-5412
- The Shelter (A Safe House for Victims of Domestic Abuse)- 345-4218
- T&T Cancer Society - 800-TTCS (8827)
- National AIDS Hotline - 800-4448/625 2437
- T&T Red Cross Society - 627-8215/8218
- CrimeStoppers - 800-TIPS
- Families in Action - 622-6952/679-7931
- PAHO T&T
- Rape Crisis Centre T&T - 627-7428/346-2637
- Family Planning Association - 652-3065
- Rebirth House Drug Rehab Centre - 623-0952
- Lifeline Hotline - 800-5588/866-5433
- Barrackpore - 654-0609
- Cap De Ville - 648-0283
- Gasparillo - 650-2193
- Cedros - 690-1196
- Marabella - 652-6777
- Erin - 649-8888
- Mon Repos - 657-9769
- Fyzabad - 677-7777
- Moruga - 656-7030
- Guapo - 648-2403
- Penal - 647-8888
- Princes Town - 655-2231
- La Brea - 648-7444
- San Fernando - 652-2561
- Oropouche - 677-7544
- St. Margarets - 659-2530
- St. Madeleine - 656-3348
- Point Fortin - 648-2426
- Tableland - 656-3430
- Santa Flora - 649-5555
- Siparia - 649-2333