Pharmacy Service Charter
The Out-Patient Pharmacy is a progressive department aimed at delivering quality, cost-effective pharmaceutical care and services to customers. It provides leadership on medication use and drug procedures.
We commit to consistently meeting the needs and exceeding the expectations of customers and stakeholders accessing the Out-Patient Pharmacy services. This Patient Service Charter outlines the standards of service you can expect when interacting with us.
The Pharmacy Department complies with the Patient’s Charter of Rights and Obligations (August 2002) by the Ministry of Health. We aim to provide professional care and our clients can expect to:
- Be treated with courtesy and respect.
- Wait no more than 30 minutes* after presenting prescription to the Pharmacist at the dispensing window.
- Receive medication in well-labelled containers and be given clear instructions.
- Receive information on safe medication storage practices at home, workplace, etc.
- Receive information on the safe disposal of expired medicince.
- Be informed of the expiration date and lot number of all medications upon acceptance.
- Be provided with attached literature on medications received when available.
- Receive information on contra-indications (situations where drugs or procedures should not be used together) based on information provided in the Intake History / Patient Information Forms.
- Be informed of suitable alternate locations when a drug is not available at our facility; whenever such information is available.
- Be served once you arrive during established hours of service.
- Be informed on progress of formal complaints between 7-14 working days.
Let's work together to ensure a quality service is provided. You can do your part in this effort by:
- Showing courtesy and respect to all staff.
- Familiarizing and understanding all and any requirements for accessing our service.
- Providing accurate and complete information on current complaints, medication use, medical history or other matters related to your health such as allergies to food, medication, etc.
- Respecting the privacy of fellow patients and staff.
- Filling your repeat prescriptions in a timely manner.
- Informing hospital staff when you do not understand information provided to you.
- Observing MoH and SWRHA protocols and policies that relate to treatment and the behaviour of patients.
- You are responsible for following treatment plans recommended by medical professionals.
- You are ultimately responsible for your actions; you have the right to refuse medication offered to you by the pharmacy.
- Dispensation of medication.
- Drug usage review.
- Monitoring of Adverse reactions of - Medication Allergies, Drug/drug Interactions, Food/drug Interactions, Medication errors, Prescriptions for correctness, completeness and appropriateness, Therapeutic duplication.
- Maintenance and review of patient medication profiles.
- Verifying of complete and accurate list of patient’s current medicines to avoid medication errors such as omissions, duplications, dosing errors, or drug interactions.
- Provision of drug information to patients, their families and SWRHA staff.
- Provision of counseling on medication related issues.
- Disposal of unwanted/expired medication.
- Provision of specialized services such as compounding medicine for: Paediatric patients (babies)
- Oncology patients (cancer care).
- Participation in Health Promotions.
- Stamped prescription signed by prescribing physician.
- Must have Patient Registration Number.
- National ID Card(only if collecting narcotic drugs).
In all cases treat our staff with courtesy and respect as they help resolve your issue. We want to help if something goes wrong. Visit or call the Pharmacy to speak with a Senior Pharmacist or person in charge.
- Tel.: 225-4325 Ext. 3618 for SFGH and Ext. 1458 for SFTH.
- Pharmacy Coordinator: 225-4325 Ext. 3617 or 652-7804
- Regional Manager, Pharmacy Services: 225-1781/1782
If no resolution is forthcoming a written or email complaint can be made to the Senior Quality Coordinator, San Fernando Teaching Hospital, San Fernando.
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel.: 87-SWRHA (79742)
We are committed to providing excellent service to all customers. Your feedback is important and essential to us. This can be provided written or verbally through a range of media:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel.: 87-SWRHA (79742)
- Suggestion boxes (blue & white boxes on the walls)
- Telephone Hotline 87-SWRHA (79742)
- Customer Relations Officers (wearing blue vests)
- Information Booths
- Quality Improvement Department Office
At San Fernando General Hospital there are 4 Outpatient Pharmacies which form part of an integrative health care team. Each pharmacy provides medications for patients receiving medical care or undergoing procedures and treatments at the multiple hospital clinics or wards.
Our pharmacy team is dedicated to maximising concordance; optimizing safe medication use and improving clinical outcomes. All patients receive a comprehensive review of their medication therapy. They are given one-on-one counselling by a member of our experienced pharmacist team and provided with written information about their prescriptions. We also offer specialized dispensing services which include admixing of cytotoxic medications for patients receiving chemotherapy and compounding medications for paediatric use.
The Outpatient Pharmacies are located at four (4) convenient locations to meet the prescription needs of patients and employees.
This pharmacy is conveniently located on the fourth (4th) floor of the new San Fernando Teaching Hospital. It caters to patients receiving treatment at the multiple clinics and wards located in this new facility. We also facilitate patients with prescriptions from other public health institutions (SWRHA / other RHAs).
Hours of Service
- Monday - Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Phone: 225 – 4325 ext. 1458Email: email@example.com
This pharmacy is strategically located in the New Wing of the San Fernando General Hospital in close proximity to the Emergency Department. This pharmacy serves patients discharged from the Emergency Department and also caters to patients receiving treatment in the Eye, ENT, Psychiatric, Thoracic (Chest) and Dental Clinics. We also facilitate patients with prescriptions from other public health institutions (SWRHA / Other RHAs).
This pharmacy has a “Staff Line” which is a special privilege provided to members of staff where they are provided with the convenience of dropping off their prescription and then collecting them, thereby avoiding waiting in line. This is the only Hospital Pharmacy in South Trinidad to provide this service.
Additional terms and conditions apply.Hours of Service
- Monday to Thursday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
- Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday - 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Drop Off: Monday to Friday - 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Pick up: Monday to Friday –1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Phone: 652 - 3581 ext 3618Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This pharmacy is located in the Oncology Unit of the San Fernando General Hospital. It caters to patients receiving treatment at the Oncology Unit.
Hours of Service
- Monday to Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Phone: 225 –4325 ext. 3050Email: email@example.com
This pharmacy is located in the Infectious Disease unit of the San Fernando General Hospital, next to the Queen's Park Counselling Centre and Clinic (QPCC&C) South office. It caters to all patients receiving treatment at the Infectious Disease Unit and the QPCC&C for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and diseases.
Hours of Service
- Monday to Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Phone: 225 –4325 ext. 3087Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Point Fortin Hospital Pharmacy is located on the Ground Level, Main Entrance of the Point Fortin Hospital. Pharmacy Operations include In-Patient Services: Dispensing of Medication to Patients on Wards and Out -Patient Services : Dispensing of Medication to Patients from Clinics.
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 9am to 1pm
Sunday 9am to 1pm