On Thursday 8th March, 2018, the South-West Regional Health Authority achieved a major milestone by signing the Daily Rated Establishments for daily rated workers of the Authority for the period 01/01/2015 to 31/12/2016 with the National Union for Government and Federated Workers (NUGFW).
It is to be noted that the Authority and the Union (NUGFW) were able to agree and sign off four (4) years of Daily Rated Establishments within a one (1) year period. The last Establishments for the period 01/01/2013 to 31/12/2014 were signed off on 23rd February, 2017.
Despite the current economic climate, the SWRHA has been able to honour the Collective Agreement by reviewing and updating the Daily Rated Establishments in collaboration with the Union which entails confirming and promoting eligible workers in permanent vacant posts on the Establishments.
In accordance with the Daily Rated Collective Agreement between the SWRHA and Union (NUGFW), the Establishments are reviewed biennially by the Industrial Relations Unit of the Human Resources Department, HR staff in the Communities and representatives from the Southern Division Office of the NUGFW.
At SWRHA there are daily rated workers employed at the following locations:
- San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH)
- Area Hospital Point Fortin (AHPF)
- CMOH Caroni
- CMOH St Patrick
- CMOH Victoria
- Couva District Hospital (CDHF)
- Princes Town District Hospital (PTDHF)
There are considerable benefits to both the daily rated worker and the Authority when we are able to meet our commitments. These are as follows:
Benefits to the worker:
- Security of Tenure – Permanency, promotions and appointments.
- Sense of belonging
- Motivated Employees
- Improved wages, cola and other allowances.
Benefits to the Employer:
- Adherence to the Subsisting Collective Agreement between the SWRHA and the Union (NUGFW).
- Practice of Good and Proper Industrial Relations by meeting and treating with the recognized Majority Union (NUGFW) in accordance with the Industrial Relations Act of 1972.
- Maintenance of Industrial peace and harmony in the workplace.
- A more productive worker and this will redound to reduced grievances and trade disputes.
The Authority looks forward to the next signing ceremony of the Daily Rated Establishment for the period January 01, 2017 to December 31, 2018 which is expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2019.
In Photo: Mrs. Gail Miller-Meade, CEO with NUGFW representatives and SWRHA staff.